We are doing everything possible to support NHS workers, care workers, NHS volunteers and Merton Voluntary Service Council (MVSC) volunteers who are working incredibly hard to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are providing free, unlimited parking in council car parks and in on-street parking bays for NHS staff, care workers and community volunteers working for organisations such as the MVSC, who are supporting older and vulnerable people along with NHS volunteers.
- issuing virtual permits to all those who are providing these essential services so that they can get around the borough and park without delay
- recognising the London Health Emergency Badge in all circumstances (not just emergencies)
- ensuring that dangerous, unauthorised and unsafe parking is dealt with and that there is sufficient space for these key workers to park
- increasing the length of time our civil enforcement officers observe a vehicle for loading and unloading, to allow sufficient time for the delivery of food and essentials to vulnerable residents.
Penalty charge notices (PCNs) can still be issued for contravention of restrictions on:
- residential permit bays in controlled parking zones
- single or double yellow lines
- pay and display bays
- loading bays
- keep clear (zig-zag) markings
- disabled bays
- bus stops
- any instances that are considered to be causing an obstruction.
It is not acceptable to abuse council staff and any reports of this kind will be taken very seriously.