This consultation ended on 26 October 2020. This page is no longer being updated but we've left it here for reference.
Residential permits charging model
The proposed charging model for residential permits will be based on three elements:
Location-based charging has been in operation since January 2020. Charges are based on the location of the controlled zone linked to public transport services, and how long each day the zone is enforced for.
Carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.
Our proposals will build on the charging model to also consider CO2 emissions which contribute towards climate change. The cost of your residential permit may reduce or increase compared with your current charge, depending on your vehicle's emissions. This is based on Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) 'car tax' bands
Our proposals include a surcharge for some vehicles based on their nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) emissions. These emissions contribute to local air pollution which can damage health. This is based on the Transport for London Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) model. This will replace the existing diesel levy that has been in operation since 2017.
These charges are explained in more detail below.
Location and CO2 emissions based charging
This part of the charge depends on the location of the controlled parking zone and the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) 'car tax' band of the vehicle.
The VED bandings range from A to M, with category 'A' being for the least polluting vehicles and M the most polluting. This banding was introduced by the government to move vehicle owners away from higher CO2 polluting vehicles and is familiar to motorists.
Emission-based charging may result in some permits actually being reduced in price to reflect the emissions of the vehicle, but for owners of higher polluting vehicles a higher charge may be applicable.
To find the proposed price for your basic residential permit:
- Find out
which controlled parking zone you live in if you don't already know.
- From your log book or other documentation, check what your vehicle's CO2 emissions are.
- Check the
List of Proposed Resident Permit Charges by CPZ.
Alternatively, find your parking zone's 'tier' and 'enforcement length' in the first table below, then look up the proposed charge in the second table.
Parking zone tiers and enforcement lengths
|W3,W4||Tier 1 ||Long|
|2F, 3E, 3F, 4F, 5F, VC, VOn, VOs, VOt, W2, W5, W6, W7, P3||Tier 1 ||Medium |
|P1, P2 ,P2s||Tier 1 ||Short |
|CW5, MP4||Tier 2||Long|
|CW, CW1, CW2, CW4, M1, M2, M3, MP1, MP2, MP3, S1, S2, S3, SW, SW1, A1, RP, RPE, RPN, RPS, H1, H2, VN, VSW, VSW2, W1, VNe, VNs||Tier 2||Medium |
|RPW, RPC, RPC1, VSW1, VQ, CH.||Tier 2||Short |
|MTC, WB1||Tier 3||Long|
|CW3, GC, GC1, GC2, GC3, WB2, MTC1, MTC2||Tier 3||Medium |
|MT||Tier 3||Short |
Proposed resident permit charges
The charges below are for the first resident permit at an address. There is no change to the cost of additional permits.
Tier 1 Long
Tier 1 Medium
Tier 1 Short
Tier 2 Long
Tier 2 Medium
Tier 2 Short
Tier 3 Long
Tier 3 Medium
Tier 3 Short
ULEZ based surcharge
As part of Merton's commitment to addressing local pollution caused by NOx and particulates emissions, we are proposing a 'surcharge' will also be applied based on the TfL Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) model.
It is proposed the ULEZ based model will replace the existing Diesel Levy surcharge of £150 which is applicable to any diesel vehicle.
The proposed ULEZ based charge will only be applicable to the vehicles emitting the highest NOx and particulates emissions. This means EURO 6 diesel cars will not be liable, but older petrol cars with a Euro 1, 2 or 3 rating may be.
Because we are using the same criteria as Transport for London for our ULEZ based model, you can use TfL's
ULEZ vehicle checker to see if your car will be liable for the surcharge.
ULEZ based surcharge tiers
|£150||No surcharge||£150||No surcharge|
Below are 3 examples of cars and how the proposal will affect cost.
|Tier 1 Long||Fiat Doblo 1.9L||Diesel||2005||153||I||£210||£150||£360|
|Tier 2 Medium||Audi A1 1L||Petrol||2017||97||E||£90||£0||£90|
|Tier 3 Medium||Ford Fiesta 1L||Petrol||2019||113||G||£80||£0||£80|
Example 1 (Fiat Doblo 1.9 diesel 2005)
- The property is in Tier 1 because its closer to good public transport links and the zone is enforced for over 10 hours in a day the existing premium is also applicable.
- In this example the car is a diesel manufactured before 2006 with only a Euro rating of 3 or 4, therefore liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge due to the NOx and PM Emissions it emits.
- The vehicle also emits 153 (g/km) CO2 Emissions and is in band I of the Governments tax bands and liable for a £210 Permit change.
- Total Charge £360. In this example there is an increase of 60 in the total Permit price including the diesel surcharge.
Example 2 (Audi A1 1L 2017)
- The property is in Tier 2 because public transport links are not as good as Tier 1 but better that Tier 3 areas. The zone is only enforced for part of the day, resulting in the base change being lower that other areas.
- The vehicle also emits only 97 (g/km) CO2 Emissions and is in band E of the Governments tax bands and liable for a £90 Permit change.
- In this example the car is manufactured in 2017 with a Euro rating of 6, therefore
not liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge.
- Total Charge £90. This is £20 cheaper than the current Permit price
Example 3 (Ford Fiesta 1L 2019)
- The property is in Tier 3 because it is no so well serves by public transport links and the zone is only enforced for part of the day, resulting in the base charge being lower that other areas.
- In this example the car is a petrol manufactured before in 2019 with a Euro rating of 6. Therefore
not liable to the £150 ULEZ based charge associated with NOx and PM Emissions.
- The vehicle only emits 113 (g/km) CO2 Emissions and is in Band G of the Governments tax bands and liable for a £80 Permit change.
- Total charge £80. In this example here is no change in the Permit price.
To find out which 'tier' your parking zone is in, check the first table on this page.
|Tier 1 Full day||£0||£4.25||£4.50||£4.75||£5.00||£5.25||£5.50||£5.75||£6.00||£6.25||£6.50||£6.75||£7.00|
|Tier 1 Half day||£0||£2.75||£3.00||£3.25||£3.50||£3.75||£4.00||£4.25||£4.50||£4.75||£5.00||£5.25||£5.50|
|Tier 2 Full day||£0||£3.25||£3.50||£3.75||£4.00||£4.25||£4.50||£4.75||£5.00||£5.25||£5.50||£5.75||£6.00|
|Tier 2 Half day||£0||£3.25||£3.50||£3.75||£4.00||£4.25||£4.50||£4.75||£5.00||£5.25||£5.50||£5.75||£6.00|
|Tier 3 Full day||£0||£2.25||£2.50||£2.75||£3.00||£3.25||£3.50||£3.75||£4.00||£4.25||£4.50||£4.75||£5.00|
|Tier 3 Half day||£0||£1.25||£1.50||£1.75||£2.00||£2.25||£2.50||£2.75||£3.00||£3.25||£3.50||£3.75||£4.00|
Visitor scratchcard permits
|Tier 1 Full day||£8.50|
|Tier 1 Half day||£7.00|
|Tier 2 Full day||£7.50|
|Tier 2 Half day||£7.50|
|Tier 3 Full day||£6.50|
|Tier 3 Half day||£5.50|
ULEZ based surcharge for visitor scratchcards and e-permits
|£1.50||No surcharge||£1.50||No surcharge|
Annual visitor permits
|Tier 1 Long ||£400||£540||£690|
|Tier 1 Medium ||£370||£510||£660|
|Tier 1Short ||£360||£500||£650|
|Tier 2 Long ||£380||£520||£670|
|Tier 2 Medium ||£360||£500||£650|
|Tier 2 Short ||£320||£490||£640|
|Tier 3 Long ||£340||£480||£630|
|Tier 3 Medium ||£330||£470||£620|
|Tier 3 Short ||£320||£460||£610|
Business, teacher and trader permits