When to make an enquiry

Enquiries should be made when your assessment has identified needs which can only be met through Enhanced Services at upper Level 2 or Specialist Services at level 3 of the Merton Child and Young Person Well Being Model (MWBM).

If you are not sure about the needs of the child, you can call the MASH using the contact details below to discuss the case with professionals in the MASH.


Before making a MASH enquiry

Before making a MASH enquiry you need to consider if the child or young person's needs can be met by services from within your own agency, or by other professionals already involved with the family.

We know that it is sometimes difficult to decide the appropriate point of intervention. To help you to determine levels of need when making your own assessment, please refer to the multi-agency additional needs descriptors at www.merton.gov.uk/mwbm-additional-needs-indicators.

Again, you can always contact the MASH team for advice.

Before making an enquiry you should always get the consent of the parents or carers, except where a child is considered to be at risk of harm and you believe that seeking parental consent may increase this risk.


How to make an enquiry

Urgent referrals relating to Child Protection

If you believe that urgent action is needed because, for example, a child is in immediate danger or needs accommodation (upper Level 3 of the Merton Wellbeing Model), phone the MASH on 020 8545 4226 or 020 8545 4227 (Out of hours: 020 8770 5000) and give as much information as you can.

Your information will be passed immediately to the manager who will make a decision on the risk level and acknowledge this with you within one hour. You must follow up your telephone call by sending a completed Child Protection Referral form to the MASH within 24 hours.

The Child Protection Referral form is available for download or printing at www.merton.gov.uk/casa-forms

Other Child Protection concerns

If you have a Child Protection concern but urgent and immediate action is not needed (lower Level 3 of the Merton Wellbeing Model), you must complete a Child Protection Referral form in as much detail as possible and send it to the MASH at mash@merton.gov.uk.

The Child Protection Referral form is available for download or printing at www.merton.gov.uk/casa-forms.

All other concerns

For any other concerns, or where a CASA is already in process, you should complete a CASA form, providing as much up-to-date detail as possible.

Whichever form is used, it should be shared with the parent or carer and, where appropriate, with the child, prior to making the enquiry. The information you provide will support threshold decisions and contribute to any subsequent assessments, such as a Single Assessment.

The CASA form is available for download or printing at www.merton.gov.uk/casa-forms.


After making an enquiry

Once a fuller picture about the case has been established by the MASH, the MASH manager will decide on the most appropriate decision to take.
You will be notified in writing as to the outcome of the contact.


Contact us

020 8545 4226 or
020 8545 4227 or
020 8770 5000 (out of hours)

Email: mash@merton.gov.uk 

Fax: 020 8545 4204

12th Floor, Merton Civic Centre
London Road, Morden