Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Social care ❮ Adult social care ❮ Financial assessment ❮ 

Financial assessment - Paying for care if you live at home

Your support plan sets out how many hours of care you receive each week - in the home or in one of our day centres, or as a direct payment.  The council has set maximum charges for each service. You will be asked to fill in a financial assessment form and we will use this to work how much we think you should contribute.

See also: Home care

Maximum charges

If you have savings over £23,250 you will have to pay the maximum charges for the services you receive.

The current charges from April 2012 are:

Home care

£16.64 per hour

Day care

There is no standard charge for attending a day centre. The maximum charge will depend on what day centre you attend, and the level of support you receive there. As a guide, the following charges apply:

Day Centre Cost per day
Woodlands £31.37
JMC £50.20
Cumberland £54.28
Leyton Road £36.00
All Saints £35.80
Eastway £37.80

Transport to the day centre is charged at £2.70 per day.

In addition to this you will have to pay for meals and hot drinks at the day centre.

Fairer Contributions Policy

Your financial assessment for non-residential services is calculated using the    Charging Policy.

Financial assessment form

On the financial assessment form you will be asked to list all of your savings, income and expenses so that we can work out how much you can afford to contribute towards your home care services.

Financial assessment forms and booklets


You will need to list all your savings, such as building society accounts, stocks and shares.  If your total savings come to less than £14,250, we will not include them when working out your contribution.  Savings belonging to your partner will not be included in our assessment (savings in joint accounts will be halved).

We will not include the value of the home you live in when calculating your savings.


We will ask you to list your income such as;

  • State Retirement Pension
  • Pension Credit
  • Private/ occupational pensions
  • Income Support
  • ESA
  • Universal Credit
  • Attendance Allowance / Disability Living Allowance / Personal Independence Payment

Your husband's or wife’s income will not be included in our assessment.

We want to make sure that you receive all of the benefits you are entitled to. When we calculate your assessment we offer a free benefit check to ensure that you receive all of the benefits you are entitled to.


We will make allowances for your bills and living expenses when calculating your contributions. The following expenses are taken into account:

  • Council tax
  • Rent/ground rent
  • Water rates
  • Mortgage / building insurance
  • Service/maintenance charges
  • Disability related expenditure (e.g. Mascot / Careline charges)

If you do not return a financial assessment form or you do not answer all the questions on it, you may be charged the full cost of your services.

Disability related expenses

Disability related expenses are any expenses you may have which you incur due to your illness or disability. This could be things such as paying for a telecare alarm, or paying for wheelchair insurance. If you receive a disability benefit, such as Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance, and you tell us on the financial assessment form that you have disability related expenses, we will include a standard expense rate of £10 per week. If you feel you spend more than this on expenses related to your disability, you will need to send proof of these costs with the form.

Contact us

Financial Assessments Team
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3076 or 020 8545 4036