Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Social care ❮ Adult social care ❮ Disabled adults ❮ 

Visual Impairment Services

Social Services for Adults are here to help people over the age of 18 with a visual impairment. We can provide or arrange services services to help people to live in their own homes and to remain part of the community and this includes services for people with a visual impairment.

How we can help

Social Services work closely with the Merton Voluntary Association for the blind to offer a range of services depending on your needs. The services cover:

Mobility - Services to help you get around independently

  • Travel concessions
  • Blue Badges
  • Mobility canes (for example, symbol cane and long cane) and mobility training

Managing at home

  • Equipment for daily living (for example, talking watch, talking clock and liquid level indicator)
  • Adaptations - simple changes to your home, like improved lighting, may make tasks easier
  • Help with cooking, cleaning, washing


  • Talking books and newspaper
  • Lessons in Braille, Moon and touch-typing

Information and support

  • Counselling
  • Retraining for employment
  • Educational advice
  • Social activities
  • Welfare rights advice

How to receive help

  • You should visit your doctor who will arrange an appointment with an eye specialist. When you have seen the specialist they will make a recommendation on medical grounds, which will be sent to Social Services.
  • Social Services will then arrange for a Social Worker to visit you. Alternatively, you could refer yourself directly to Social Services for advice and information
  • The Physical and Sensory Impairment Team with Social Services for Adults offer a service to people above the age of 18. The team is there to assess your needs and offer support/advice to you and your carer
  • Carers are entitled to an assessment in their own rights. A separate information leaflet "How to get help if you are looking after someone" is available from Social Services

More information can be found at Merton Vision website.

Contact us

Merton Adult Access Team
Merton Civic Centre,
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 4430
Minicom: 020 8543 3212
Mobile: SMS 07961 243740 (reserved for people who are Profoundly Deaf and using SMS only)
Fax: 020 8274 5961


Other useful contacts

Merton Voluntary Association for the Blind
The Guardian Centre
67 Clarendon Road
Colliers Wood
SW19 2DX

Merton Voluntary Association for the Blind can advise you about the main voluntary organisations for visually impaired people in Merton.

RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
Head Office Telephone: 0303 123 9999

SENSE (The National Deafblind and Rubella Association)
South East Office
Tel / textphone: 0300 330 9256 (alternative number 020 7520 0972)

Deafblind UK (Peterborough head office)
Telephone: 01733 3587100

Royal London Society for the Blind
Telephone: 01732 592553


See also