In March 2015 the government introduced changes to technical housing standards. These changes replace specific requirements outlined in our
Core Planning Strategy .
Energy statement for new housing developments
If you’re a developer of a new housing development, you need to submit an energy statement from 25 March 2015 as part of your planning application. The energy statement must state how the development will:
1. Comply with Merton’s Core Planning Strategy Policy CS15, parts a-d You should include a breakdown of how you will achieve emissions reductions at each level of the energy hierarchy
2. Achieve a 20% improvement on Buildings Regulations 2013 Part L (equivalent to a 25% improvement on Building Regulations 2010). You must demonstrate this improvement by submitting BRUKL output documentation.
3. Achieve water usage rates of less than 105 litres per person per day You must submit sufficient evidence to demonstrate this improvement.
These requirements replace the Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4 in our ‘Core Planning Strategy (2011): CS15 (part e) – Climate Change’.
Energy strategy for the demolition and rebuild of a single dwelling house
If you demolish and rebuild a single dwelling house, you need to submit an energy strategy from 25 March 2015 which demonstrates how you will:
- Achieve a 20% improvement over Buildings Regulations 2013 Part L (equivalent to a 25% improvement over Buildings Regulations 2010) from building fabric measures alone
- Exceed the minimum sustainability requirements outlined in Merton’s Core Planning Strategy Policy CS15.
These requirements replace the need to exceed the minimum sustainability requirements in our ‘Core Planning Strategy 2011 Policy CS 15’ through:
- Limiting CO2 emissions arising from the operation of the dwelling and its services in line with Code for Sustainable Homes Level 5;
- Improving the fabric energy efficiency performance in line with Code for Sustainable Homes Level 5; and,
- Making effective use of resources and materials in accordance with Merton’s Core Planning Strategy Policy CS15 (part a).