Check availability and book
This course allows you to deliver the RYA sailing scheme to children (up to Stage 4) and adults (up to Level 3), under the overall supervision of a Senior Instructor.
The course is run over 5 days, with an assessment on the final day.
Price per person, minimum 4, maximum 6.
- Teaching techniques, ashore and afloat
- The structure of the National Sailing Scheme (NSS) and Youth Sailing Scheme (YSS)
- Techniques for teaching adults, children, and those with special needs
- Preparation and presentation of a lesson
- Preparation and use of visual aids
- The assessment of students' abilities
- The use of powered craft in a teaching environment
During the course you will be told how to give a presentation, then expected to deliver a one on a topic chosen by the coach. This could be on any topic covered in the NSS or YSS.
The course is moderated by another RYA Coach Assessor. During the moderation you will teach a group of students, and be assessed on the safe and effective running of the session. You may also be required to deliver a short presentation. More details of the moderation can be found in the RYA Instructor Handbook (G14).
- Age: 16+
- RYA member
- First Aid (1 day course approved by the RYA)
- RYA Safe & Fun (3 hour online safeguarding course)
- RYA Powerboat Level 2 (2 day course)
- Sailing Pre-entry (1 day assessment, sometimes offered with 1 additional day training)
What to bring
- Weather appropriate clothing (no jeans), include waterproof jacket
- Wetsuit or drysuit
- Old trainers needed for on the water (something secure, not Crocs, flip flops or wellies)
- Sun protection, a hat, water bottle, food
- Complete change of clothes