Check availability and book
- 5 day course in Gibraltar or Lanzarote
- For aspiring skippers with some yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills
- Price per person (flights not included)
- For enquires and to book please contact email@example.com
This is a perfect course for aspiring skippers with some yachting experience, basic navigation and sailing skills. The 5 day course is held either out of either Gibraltar or Lanzarote as a residential sailing trip, giving the candidate the opportunity to gain experience living on board and really getting to know the boat. This course teaches the skills required to skipper a yacht as well as giving you the opportunity to take charge on a short passage under instruction. A basic knowledge of lights is also included as to introduce the candidate to night sailing.
To book the course candidates should have a basic navigation and helmsmanship knowledge it is recommended that you attend the RYA Day Skipper Sailing Theory Course first, see RYA shore based training.
- Passage planning and preparation for sea
- Basic Seamanship
- Chart work
- Position fixing
- Plotting a course to steer
- Weather forecasting and metrology
- Yacht handling under power and sail
- Rules of the road
- Pilotage- plan of entry and departure from the harbour
- Emergency situations
- 5 days, 100 miles and 4 night hours spent on board a sailing vessel
- Ideally competent crew
What to bring
- Sailing log book
- Weather appropriate clothing and footwear, for 5 days away at sea
- Note pad and pen
- Day skipper RYA hand book
Where to go
Wimbledon Park Watersports Centre
Home Park Road
We recommend using public transport to get here.
Sat nav post code SW18 5NW takes you to McCluskey's newsagents, on the corner of Revelstoke Road and Elsenham Street, just outside the park.
There is a small pay-and-display car park by Revelstoke Road, but it is often full.
Free car parking is also available at the Wimbledon Park Road entrance (sat nav SW19 6PE). It is a slightly longer walk across the grass to the Watersports Centre.
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org
During the Wimbledon Tennis Championships there is no vehicle access to Wimbledon Park for dropping off and collecting. These parking restrictions may be enforced before the start and after the end date of the championships. Please check the All England Lawn Tennis website for specific traffic restrictions.