Morden Park was formerly part of the Morden Park Estate and once a deer park originally within the Manor of Morden's Morden Hall estate, which was owned from the 16th-18th century by the Garth family. In the 1700s part of the manor lands were leased to London merchant and distiller John Ewart who built a house here in 1770, Morden Park, where he lived until 1788. After this the Morden Park estate passed through a number of different owners, eventually purchased by Gilliat Hatfeild who had already purchased Morden Hall, thus reuniting the two estates.
In 1945 Morden Park was purchased from the Hatfeild family by Merton and Morden Urban District Council, and the house and 90 acres were preserved as public open space, the house now council offices. Behind the house is a courtyard and the remains of a crinkle-crankle wall. Two round single-storey outhouses were reputedly where deer slept in the winter. The courtyard used to have 8 chestnut trees and a well, with a fig tree near the house. The walled garden is no longer in existence but one or two trees, including a large pear tree, may be a remnant of planting. The park consists of extensive parkland with mature trees grouped in copses and a continuous belt around the edges. A distinctive 40ft mound within the park situated within woodland is believed to be a Romano-British burial mound, once used as a base for a summer house. A railed area is the site of an old velodrome. Among amenities added to the public park is an open air theatre with hedged enclosure.
Leisure and Culture Services
Merton Civic Centre
Tel: 020 8545 3667
Fax: 020 8545 3237