Working for Merton means you'll be making a difference to the lives of local residents and businesses. You'll also get the training and development you need to excel in your career, as well as opportunities to move between departments and to progress into more senior roles.
We are an equal opportunity employer and our policies and practices ensure that no person will be discriminated against for reasons of race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief, age, gender reassignment, or marriage and civil partnership. This commitment to equality of opportunity and respect for diversity extends not only to employees, but also to our service users and community partners.
Other benefits for our staff include:
- membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
- flexible working
- generous leave entitlement
- parental leave and shared parental leave schemes
- career break scheme
- employee assistance programme - free access for you and your family to expert advice and guidance on major life events, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year
- lunchtime Pilates classes
- discounted membership to our leisure centres
- quit smoking clinics
- annual health care days which include blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and height checks, and a range of complementary therapies
- employee discount scheme on a range of leisure activities, from days out to magazine subscriptions, as well as hair and beauty treatments, courses at Merton Adult Education, entertainment events and discounts at local restaurants
- interest free season ticket loan for public transport
- assisted car purchase scheme
- childcare vouchers
- cycle to work scheme
We are one of the best connected areas of south London with fourteen National Rail stations, five underground stations (District and Northern lines) and the London Trams service joining Wimbledon, Morden and Croydon.
The road network offers access to the M23, M25, Channel Tunnel and airports.
Morden and Wimbledon stations offer bus service connections to surrounding areas.
We are home to the All England Tennis Club, where the Wimbledon Tennis Championships are held.
The New Wimbledon Theatre is the first stop for many West End productions after they leave Central London.
There are many bars and restaurants, and just over the borough boundaries are Hampton Court Palace, the river Thames, Epsom Downs and Racecourse and Box Hill with its panoramic views over Surrey.
Merton is one of the safest and greenest boroughs in London.
Vision and behaviour framework
At Merton, we take pride in delivering excellent services. Our vision is to be London's best council and for Merton to be a great place to live and call home.
Our Behaviour Framework defines how we approach our day-to-day work as we contribute to the vision, and sits alongside our job descriptions and objectives.