News: Morden's new leisure centre is now open
Facilities and service information ("Better" website)
The brand new building, situated in the beautiful landscape of Morden Park, has a 25m main pool and slightly smaller second pool with a moveable floor, which will be used for a range of activities from shallow toddler sessions to diving. There is a studio and community room for classes and activities, a fully-equipped 100 station fitness suite, with state of the art equipment and a café with outside seating to serve dog walkers who use the popular park.
First stage consultation
Independent consultants, PPS, were appointed to lead the initial consultations:
Download Leisure for Morden: first stage consultation report, July 2014
Disposal of public land
Update on 29 March 2018
The council has issued a "Section 123 Notice for the Disposal of Public Open Space" which is linked to the new Leisure Centre and surrounds. There are a number of reasons why:
- The council's existing leisure management contract with Greenwich Leisure Limited (GLL) underpins the contract with a leasehold for the land for which GLL will have responsibility.
- This will be the footprint of the building; land where disabled parking will be installed; the area set aside for a potential sports hall to be added at some time in the future should this be afforded.
- So there is an area around the building that the building itself can be maintained by GLL.
- The footprint is larger than just the building – as it is the size of land needed for efficient and effective operational management of the new leisure centre.
- By law we are required to advertise our intention to "dispose of public open space"
- Adverts are placed in the local newspaper for two consecutive weeks
- The "disposal" in this case is the need to underpin an operational Leisure Management Contract with a leasehold of the land and buildings needed to deliver the operational management in accordance with the contract.