Merton Shared Lives Scheme offers an accommodation based service for people that need some support in their everyday lives. The Scheme is for adults, male and female, aged 18 years and over, with a learning disability or with a mental health issue.
Shared Lives Carers
Within Merton Shared Lives Scheme, you are helped and supported by a Shared Lives Carer. They may be sharing their own house with you, or they may offer you floating support in another property. You may be offered somewhere to stay for a short break or somewhere to live for a longer period. Shared Lives Carers can help you to:
- Look after yourself
- Keep healthy and active
- Manage your money
- Share domestic tasks like cooking and cleaning
- Complete forms
- Understand letters
- Learn new skills
- Meet new people
- Enjoy hobbies/activities
- to make sure that you do all the things you want to do in your daily life
- to ensure that you have a family style environment in the local community and are supported by the Shared Lives team
- to allow you to make your own decisions and think and act for yourself
- to make all basic right available to you.
- to give you the chance to choose different things for yourself
- to keep your self respect
- to be part of the local community
When you have decided which carers are right for you, we will complete a service user plan and placement agreement with you, and with your friends and family if you want them to.
Shared Lives placements
First of all you need to let your Social Worker, Key Worker or Care Manager know you are interested in being referred to the scheme. You could also ask a family member to assist you in beginning this process.
Merton Shared Lives Scheme is affiliated to Shared Lives Plus as well as other regional schemes. The Scheme is also inspected by the Care Quality Commission.
Shared Lives Carers will have been trained by Merton Shared Lives Scheme and will be subject to an up to date background police check. Shared Lives Officers are in regular contact with the carer, and arrange annual assessment of the carer and the home that you would live.
Merton Shared Lives Team
Community and Housing
Telephone: 020 8545 3900