If you are a housing association tenant wanting to move home, you may be able to exchange your home with another council or housing association tenant - this is called mutual exchange.

The process involves two or more tenants exchanging their homes.

For tenants of housing associations swapping your tenancy with another tenant is often the only way of moving around an area.

Place an advertisement in Merton Link

We maintain a list of housing association tenants seeking to move and display this in Merton Link, which is the reception area in the Civic Centre. If you want your details to be displayed please complete the Mutual exchange advertisement request form or contact us using the details below to obtain a form.

Joining an exchange list does not guarantee that you will be able to exchange your home. Permission will not be given by your landlord if:

  • you have a Notice Seeking Possession or a court order against you - for example for arrears or anti-social behaviour
  • the exchange would mean that one or both homes would be either overcrowded or under occupied

Sometimes there may be conditions to be fulfilled before permission is granted - for example, clearing any rent arrears or putting right any damage to the property.

Your housing association will be able to provide advice and guidance. Your home will be inspected before any exchange and arrangements are made to test the electricity supply and fittings to ensure they are safe.

Other exchange schemes available

There are web exchange sites and most are free or charge a minimal fee. They also offer a database and forum facilities. You may have to pay for further services if you need them but all provide home exchange services.

You may also be able to find an exchange partner by advertising, either via postcard adverts in local shops or through specialised sections in newspapers.

Contact us

Registration and Nomination Team
3rd Floor
Civic Centre

Telephone: 020 8545 3305
Email: registration@merton.gov.uk