​​​ ​

You need to let us know about new or altered properties, as it could affect the council tax band the property falls under and the amount of council tax to pay.

The types of properties you should tell us about are:

  • new builds
  • torn down properties
  • merged or split properties

Request council tax banding changes for new or altered properties

Completion notices for new-build properties

We issue a "completion notice" to the owner when:

  • a property is complete
  • the work is likely to be completed in three months

The completion notice states the day the property becomes a dwelling for council tax purposes. From this date we give the property its council tax band and issue a council tax bill.

If you disagree with the start date, you can write to us, email us or phone us.

Contact us

Telephone: 020 8274 4904

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


Local Taxation Section, London Borough of Merton, PO Box No 559, Morden SM4 5ZY