If you are on a low income and need help paying your rent or council tax, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit (HB) or Council Tax Support (CTS).

Housing Benefit for working age people is gradually being replaced with Universal Credit. Pensioners are not affected by this.

If you want to make a claim for Universal Credit please read the Universal Credit and you leaflet. As an eligible single person in Merton, you will normally apply for help with paying your rent from the Department for Work and Pensions, not us.

Please read our Universal Credit and housing costs factsheet. You will be asked by them if you wish to claim Council Tax Support from us, which you still need to do.


In this section

Contact us

For more details about our opening hours and how to contact us, go to Merton Benefits Service contact page.

See also

Related websites