Book a big lunch and celebrate with your community!
The Coronation Big Lunch will bring millions together over the weekend 6-8 May 2023.
Big Lunches are larger-scale, community-led events for bigger groups, allowing your community group to celebrate together.
To support celebrations in Merton, we are offering grants of up to £350 to Merton community groups and residents’ associations who want to run Big Lunch events in the borough over the bank holiday weekend.
We will also provide:
- tables and chairs (limited availability)
- safety guidance on running your event
- guidance on holding a sustainable event
- a litter pick and tidy-up after your event
How to apply
Applications are currently open to registered community groups only.
The deadline for Big Lunch grant applications is 15 April 2023.
- You must be a registered community group/association or a “friends of” group. Please provide evidence of this by including your registered charity number or contact information for your ‘friends of’ group, which we will cross-check in our databases.
- You must have a bank account registered in the name of your organisation.
- You will need to be able to confirm your expected attendance numbers.
- You will need to confirm the date (a day of your choice from Saturday 6 - Monday 8 May) and timings of your proposed Big Lunch.
- You will need to provide the location you want to hold your event at. This needs to be a park, open space or community space. Community spaces include public halls, allotments and community centres, but not streets.
- Outline how the grant will be used, for example to help with the purchase of food or outdoor speakers.
For safety reasons, we will need to make the final judgement on whether your application is suitable and will provide feedback on any changes that are required in order to hold your proposed event.
After you apply
If your grant application is successful, you will receive payment by 25 April 2023.