Skip Navigation LinksMerton Council ❮ Communities and neighbourhoods ❮ 

Brexit help and advice

Brexit help and advice

The UK has left the EU, and there will be new rules for living, working, travelling and doing business in the UK and EU from 1 January 2021.

Find out about services to help Merton residents, businesses and organisations to prepare for the changes.


The UK has new left the EU

EU Settlement Scheme

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if you want to continue living in the UK.

The deadline for applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021.

Citizens Advice service

Citizens Advice Merton and Lambeth (CAML) have a specialist adviser who can provide free help and advice to people who live, work or study in Merton, including:

  • assessing eligibility for settled or pre-settled status
  • help with applications
  • appeal advice and assistance  
  • help with judicial reviews
  • ongoing support for complex cases

To access the support email or telephone 020 8687 9297.

Merton Council has allocated funding to the service, from the Brexit fund allocated to the council by the Government.

South West London Law Centres

Free legal advice for EU nationals worried about their status in the UK, who are in difficult or disadvantaged circumstances. Also offering help to agencies working with vulnerable EU citizens.

South West London Law Centres


Polish Family Association

The Polish Family Association are offering free appointments to offer digital assistance and general advice. The appointments are at Colliers Wood Community Centre between 9am and 6pm, Monday to Sunday. To book, call 07917401064, or email You will need to bring:

  • a current valid EU biometric passport or biometric residence card
  • a mobile phone that can receive SMS text messages
  • a valid email address

They can't advise on eligibility or likelihood of success of your application.

ID document scanning services

If you are applying for the EU Settlement Scheme, and you don’t have access to a mobile phone or tablet that you can use the ID Document Check app on, these services can scan it for you.

Translated guidance

Government helpline

Contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre helpline (GOV.UK)
Help and information about your EU Settlement Scheme application

Other sources of help and advice

Information for businesses


The GOV.UK website has the following useful guidance documents for businesses:


Register for a place at the London Growth Hub free Brexit Business Resilience Workshops in different areas of London.

Local businesses can find other events to get ready for Brexit on the London Growth Hub Upcoming Events page. 


HMRC has launched the EU Exit Import and Export Trader Helpline for traders and hauliers importing from or exporting to the EU after the end of the transition period on 31 December 2020. 

The helpline number is 0300 3301 331. Lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday.