We recommend that you only submit applications online as our staff are working remotely. If you need help please contact Some applications may be delayed, particularly where they require an inspection of a premises or site assessment to be carried out.

If your business is closed and you are unable to pay the licence fee when due over the next few months, you can ask for a suspension of your licence by emailing

Apply for a street trading licence

​If you wish to become a street trader at one of our sites, you need to apply for a Street Trading Licence. You need to be 17 or over. These licences cover:

  • market stalls
  • shop forecourts and tables and chairs placed on the public highway
  • remote pitches – parts of the highway licensed by us
  • food vans.

Tables, chairs and forecourts, and remote pitches and food vans require a street trading licence. Markets require a separate application form as do The Piazza Wimbledon and seasonal stalls.

The Street trading vacancies page lists pitches that are currently available.

You will need public liability insurance.

Applications can take up to five days for a temporary licence and a minimum of three months for permanent ones.

If you want to sell food, you will need proof of a relevant food hygiene training certificate before you can apply for a permanent licence. You can find out more about training from Merton Environmental Health on 020 8545 3025. You'll also need to register your business with them.


Market stalls

We have two locations:

  • Mitcham market
  • Abbotsbury Road market, Morden


Table and chairs and forecourt

When considering your licence application, we will inspect the area to make sure that you are not causing an obstruction.  

Please note that some shops own the pavement outside their premises and these private forecourts do not currently require a licence in Merton.

However, if the owner of the forecourt allows another trader to operate from their premises, or sells goods that differ from those sold in the premises, then a licence will be needed.

If you are in doubt about whether you need a licence, please contact us.


Remote pitches and food vans

We have pitches in Lower Morden/Raynes Park, Wimbledon Village and Wimbledon Town Centre.

In Wimbledon we have two main town centre locations, Hartfield Market and St Mark's Place.

Remote pitches also include our catering vehicles, with the majority of these types of sites located in our industrial areas such as Weir Road, Willow Lane and Lombard Road.

Prospective traders can also apply for a location they find themselves. We ask all traders to approach us directly before submitting an application so some pre-assessment of the site can be undertaken before a full application is submitted.

All food businesses in the borough must be registered and are subject to periodic inspection by our Environmental Health team. For details see Registration of Food Businesses.

The Piazza, Wimbledon

Located in Wimbledon Town Centre, The Piazza is a large open space available for hire. Stall bookings should be made through LoveWimbledon, the local business improvement district.

However, you will need to apply for a trading licence from us.


Seasonal Licences

For single day trading, specialist markets, Christmas Tree sellers and similar.


Apply for a street trading licence

Fees can be found on all forms

Street trading regulations

Street trading regulations from 1 May 2009


This process is automatic. However, it remains the responsibility of the trader to renew their licence. You must apply at least two months before it expires but the earliest you can apply is three months before the licence runs out.

Renewals can be requested by contacting us.


Private markets

Private markets can be found at:

These markets are not subject to street trading licensing. Please contact the operators directly for information and stall availability.


Contact us

Street Trading
Regulatory Services Partnership
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3025