A premises licence holder is the owner of a premises licence. There can be more than one licence holder and the options on the application form are:

  • an individual
  • a company
  • two individuals
  • an individual and a company
  • two individuals and a company

If there is more than one licence holder then under normal circumstances the consent of each one is required in order to make any changes to the licence.

Please note also that the ownership of a premises licence has nothing to do with ownership of the land or physical property itself or any lease arrangements that may exist.

Changing the licence holder(s) is known as a ‘premises licence transfer’. It cannot be done simply by agreement between the various parties – The Licensing Authority must be notified using the following formal, written procedure:

How to apply

1. The Transfer Application Form needs to be printed out and completed by the prospective new premises licence holder(s). Please read carefully the demonstration of the right to work requirements, which are in the notes at the very end of the form.

2. The Consent Form needs to be printed out and completed by the existing premises licence holder(s).

3. Pay the application fee of £23, using any of these methods:

- by card by phoning 020 8545 3969 during office hours Mon-Fri (but this needs to be done before you send us your application rather than after);

– by arranging a BACS transfer by phoning 020 8545 3969 (allow three working days for the payment to clear before submitting your application);

– by enclosing a cheque (or postal order) with your application (payable to 'The London Borough of Merton'). Put today's date on the cheque, make sure the amount is correct in both words and figures and do not forget to sign it;

- The Council's Cash Office closed on 30 September 2013. The only way to pay licensing fees in cash now is by reporting to Reception at Merton Civic Centre. When it is your turn, you will be asked for the amount and a cost code (G00740RB34). Keep one receipt and put the second with your application.

[Please note that you cannot pay licensing fees at post offices or PayPoint - this only applies to certain Council payments such as Council Tax. Also, please do not send cash in the post under any circumstances.]

4. Then either

- apply electronically by scanning your application and sending it as one or more e-mail attachments to licensing@merton.gov.uk, explaining in the body of the e-mail what it is and quoting any payment reference that you have been given,


- post the original application form(s), enclosures and cheque (or proof of payment in paper form) to: Licensing, London Borough of Merton, 1st Floor Annexe, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, Surrey, SM4 5DX.

If you apply electronically, we will forward your e-mail to the responsible authorities below as required by the regulations and you will not have to. If you do not apply electronically but on paper, you must fulfil this requirement yourself by sending a copy of your application documentation (without the fee) to each of the two following bodies:

The Chief Officer of Police,
Russ Stevens 852VW, Licensing Office, Wimbledon Police Station, 15 Queens Road, London, SW19 8NN

Home Office Immigration Service,
Alcohol Licensing Team, Lunar House, 40 Wellesley Road, Croydon, CR9 2BY

It is recommended that you send your copies by recorded delivery (or similar), so that you can prove that this requirement has been met.


  • You cannot make this application online at this time.
  • It is when we receive the application that matters, not when it was sent. You may wish to give extra attention to envelope weight and size and possibly recorded delivery etc.. Alternatively you can hand over the application in person at Merton Civic Centre Reception and ask for it to be put in the 'Licensing Folder'.

Contact us

London Borough of Merton
1st Floor Annexe
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3969
email: licensing@merton.gov.uk