This service will be available until 29 March 2019
What is it?
The European passport return service is provided for EEA and Swiss nationals applying online using the EEA(QP) or EEA(PR) application forms as part of the process of applying for permanent residence with the benefit of not having to surrender your passport.
The service will be available from 1st October 2016 and is provided by Merton Register Office in partnership with the Home Office.
Merton Register Office can photocopy your EEA or Swiss passport and forward a copy, along with your checklist and application, to the Home Office on your behalf. Your passport will then be available for you to use while your application is being processed.
The Home Office may contact you for further information after your application has been submitted.
Using the European passport return service does not guarantee the success of the application and we cannot offer any advice. Please also note that this service will not ensure that your form has been correctly completed and correct supporting document submitted.
To use this service you must:
- Hold a current EEA / Swiss passport
- Have completed an
online application to the Home Office for a Permanent Residence Card / Registration Card.
- Attend this office as the applicant(s) rather than sending anyone else in your place.
- Be able to attend an appointment within five working days of making your online application.
You must bring:
- Your online application confirmation clearly showing your Payment Notification Number.
- A hard copy of your completed application form and any supporting documents. Please note that this is only for forwarding to the Home Office, and will NOT be checked or photocopied by us. Your should ensure that you have your own copy before attending our office.
- Your current EEA / Swiss passport.
What does it cost?
A fee of £20.00 (until 31/12/2018) and then £25.00 (from
1/1/2019) is payable for all applicants, however, additional postage charges apply depending on the weight of the documents you include:
| Weight || Additional Cost until 31/12/2018||Additional Cost from 1/1/2019|
| Up to 100g || Included in the processing fee ||Included in the processing fee|
| Between 500g and 1kg || £8.00 ||£10.00|
| Between 1kg and 2kg || £9.50 ||£12.50|
| Between 2kg and 10kg || £12.00 ||£15.00|
| Between 10kg and 20kg || £29.50 ||£40.00|
| Above 20kg || £45.00 ||£60.00|
Drop in service - Monday to Friday 9.00am – 3.00pm, subject to staff capacity, except for the third Thursday of every month when the office closes at 11.00am.
Register Office Christmas opening hours
Merton Register Office
Morden Park House
Map of Merton Register Office
Telephone: 020 8274 5777
Fax: 020 8648 0433