Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Business rates e-billing

In-year school admissions and transfers

Before submitting your application we advise you to visit the schools you are interested in. If schools are full they will not be able to offer you a place immediately. We encourage you to name schools with possible vacancies to ensure your child can access a school place quickly. Please see the leaflet below for further information.

Applying for a school place: children new to the area or without a school (0.2MB)

To find your nearest school, you can use the Nearest School Finder to find the closest schools. Please note that the distances quoted are not as accurate as those used by School Admissions and are for guidance only.

Further information about Primary schools with possible vacancies can be found using ourvacancy_checker (71kB)

You can only name schools in Merton on your form. If you wish to apply for schools outside Merton, you will need to contact those boroughs for an application form.

Some schools may require you to complete a supplementary form to support your application. You are advised to contact the schools to see if this will be necessary.

You should only make an application when you know your child will be able to take up the offer of a place at a school as places cannot be reserved. If your child is living abroad and is moving to the area, please contact School Admissions for advice, as different rules apply to different types of school.

If you are new to the area, and not yet registered for Council Tax purposes, we may need to see evidence of your new address and evidence that you have left your former address.

Please note that if you are arriving in the UK from overseas, you will need to provide passports, and visas if applicable, for both you and your child.

We will process your application as quickly as possible to ensure your child is not out of school for a lengthy period of time. However, if your child has significant support needs to enable them to access education, it may delay the application process. We may need to contact your child’s previous school to ascertain if this may be the case.

If we are unable to offer you place at a higher preference school, you will be given the opportunity to go on the waiting list. Waiting lists for Merton Community Schools are held termly and you will be informed of the closing date when we confirm your place on list. Please contact the admission authority responsible for the school if you have named a VA school as they may manage their waiting lists differently.

An application form can be obtained by contacting School Admissions or attending the Civic Centre or by dowlading it an printing it. In Year School Application (0.1MB). Please note that you cannot make an In-Year application online.

If you have not yet moved to the area we are unable to process the application, however there is part of the form that must be completed by your current school and you may wish to arrange this before you have moved.


If your child is already in a local school you can ask to transfer to an alternative school. However, transfers are not processed immediately. The reasons driving the request will be considered and, in most cases, we will write to you to recommend a course of action with the existing school. Only once these routes have been exhausted, or there is evidence to support an immediate transfer, will an application normally be processed.

You should seek advice from the School Admissions Team before submitting an application to talk through your individual circumstances and to discuss how best to proceed.

Forms can only be obtained through discussion with School Admissions and cannot be downloaded or collected.

The transfer process is not quick and, if a transfer is approved, the importing school can delay the start date until the next full school term. Background information is normally sought from the current school to determine if the transfer process should apply and to support panel decisions around appropriate types of provision.

Please note that applications made to avoid exclusion from an existing school or to give a fresh start elsewhere will not normally be considered immediately.

Applications for Junior schools

Merton does not have any Junior schools. However, some Merton resident children may be attending infants' schools in other boroughs. If your child is in Year 2 at an infants' school, you will need to complete a Junior School Application form (0.4MB) to apply for a linked Junior school or an alternative primary school.

If you are applying for a Junior school, you must submit your application by 15 January 2015. We will pass the application details to the relevant borough to consider your application. Offers will be made on 16 April 2015.

Applications for University Technical College (UTC) or Studio School

Merton does not have any UTCs or Studio Schools. However if your child is in Year 8 and you are wish to apply for a UTC or a Studio School, please contact School Admissions for further information on the application process.

If you are applying for a UTC or Studio School, you must submit your application by 31 October 2014. We will pass the application details to the relevant borough to consider your application. Offers will be made on 2 March 2015.

Children with Special Educational Needs

If you child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs you will not need to complete an application as your school will be named on the Statement. (For further information please contact SEN Team)

Useful links

Contact us

School Admissions Team
Civic Centre


This page was last updated on Friday 19 December 2014