Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Try our beta site
My Merton - the latest news and information from your council

Financial assessment

Self-directed support is a new way of providing adult social care. It puts you at the centre of planning your own support needs. You will fill out a self-assessment questionnaire, and if you are eligible for support we will work out how much money you will be given in your personal budget. You can then choose to take your personal budget as a direct payment, or have directly provided services, or a combination of both.

As part of this process you will need to have a financial assessment. This will work out if you will contribute anything from your own money towards your personal budget. If the Council calculates that you do need to contribute towards your personal budget you will either be invoiced for this contribution if you are having directly provided services, or your direct payment will be paid to you as a net amount of this contribution.

We aim to offer you, and the people caring for you, the best possible services and support to live independently in your own home, or in a nursing or residential home if this is more suitable.

You may need our services if you:

  • are an older person and frail;
  • are disabled or ill;
  • have a sight or hearing loss;
  • have a mental illness, making it difficult for you to cope with everyday life;
  • have problems with drugs or alcohol; or
  • need help to look after a family member or friend.

In this section

See also

Contact us

Financial Assessment Team
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 4036

This page was last updated on Tuesday 21 March 2017

Top of page