Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Try our beta site
Lock up your worry - pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

Pest control and foxes

Pests on private property

We do not offer a pest control service for private property. If you own your own home you will need to approach a private pest control company to deal with any pest control work. If you rent from a housing association or a private landlord, speak to them about treatment in the first instance.

Reputable companies will be a member of the British Pest Control Association or National Pest Technicians Association and will have a health and safety quality standard such as CHAS.

Advice on dealing with pests

The British Pest Control Association’s website provides advice on dealing with most types of pests:

Pests on public land

If you see a rat on public land and know where the nest is please telephone us on 020 8274 4901.

We can remove some dead animals from public land: see Removing dead animals.


Our policy is not to take any action on urban foxes. This policy has been in place for many years and is in line with neighbouring local authorities in that it follows the guidance laid out by central government.

The Fox Project charity provides advice on deterring foxes and can deal with sick and injured foxes.

This page was last updated on Tuesday 24 May 2016

Top of page