Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
Try our beta site
Lock up your worry - pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

Complaints, compliments and comments

We welcome our customers' views and will use them to improve our services. Customer feedback is a valuable tool in helping to understand residents' and customers' expectations of service delivery, and plays an essential part in identifying service improvements across the council.

If your complaint relates to a council service issue we ask that you contact the relevant department; you can find the contact details through the A-Z directory, This will give them an opportunity to resolve your issue as quickly as possible. For environmental services such as reporting a missed refuse collection, broken street lights, or fly-tipping please use the Street scene enquiry form or telephone the Contact Centre on 020 8274 4902.

Issues we are not able to take complaints about:

  • Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs)
  • Complaints where the customer has started legal proceedings or has previously taken the matter to court or tribunal
  • Appeals about planning decisions and enforcement (these are dealt with under the Town and Country Planning Appeals procedure)
  • Fixed Penalty Notices - there is no formal right to appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN). If you have received an FPN for littering or dog fouling you can challenge the FPN within 14 days of the issue of the notice at Challenge an FPN
  • School admissions issues (these are dealt with by an Admission Appeal Panel)  Schools Admissions Appeals
  • Schools generally (please see the school Complaints, comments and compliments page)
  • Housing and council tax benefit appeals (these are dealt with by the Benefit Appeals Tribunal)

Reporting issues which are not complaints

Please see the Report it page for how to report problems where a complaint isn't appropriate.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint about a council service you can contact the Complaints Team by:

  • Email:
  • Writing to: The Complaints Team, Merton Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, SM4 5DX
  • Telephone: 020 8545 3060 (weekdays, 9am - 5pm) - we may ask you to confirm the details of your complaint in writing or via email.

If you have a complaint about Children's Social Care you can contact the council by


If you have been impressed by or pleased with one of our services, please let us know by sending an email to: or phoning 020 8545 3060.

You can also nominate a member of council staff for an Excellence Award. These are awarded once a year to individuals or teams that have demonstrated outstanding customer service.


If you have a comment about any aspect of the council's services, let us know by sending an email to: or phoning 020 8545 3060 (weekdays, 9am - 5pm).


The Complaints policy can be found here: Merton's complaints policy

Please note that there are some complaints that are treated differently; these include

Annual complaints report

The council publishes a report each year which reviews performance and identifies areas for improvement. The reports are available on the Annual complaints report page.

See also

Contact us

The Complaints Team
Merton Council
Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3060 between 9am and 5pm, - outside these hours there is an answerphone service.

This page was last updated on Thursday 30 April 2015

Top of page