Benefits of working for Merton
There are a number of benefits you are entitled to as an employee of Merton.
- Supportive and dedicated management team
- Real commitment to your training and development
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
A career average scheme with good benefits. Further information is available on request.
- Flexible working
Subject to service provisions, you may be able to work on a flexible working scheme which allows you to vary your starting and finishing times to suit your personal needs and circumstances.
- Career break scheme
Upon satisfactory completion of a six month probation period you may take an unpaid break of up to three years from the Council.
- Employee assistance programme
Free access for you and your family to expert advice and guidance on major life events, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year.
- Health & Well-being programme
The council has received a commitment award under the London Healthy Workplace Charter Accreditation Scheme for our investment in staff health and wellbeing. We have a range of activities including:
- Lunchtime classes such as yoga, tai chi, pilates, meditation/relaxation
- Lunchtime walks
- Discounted membership to the borough's gyms/leisure centres
- Smoking cessation clinics
- ‘Noon time’ talks on various topics
- Annual health care days which include blood pressure, cholesterol, weight and height checks, and a range of complementary therapies (e.g. reflexology, reiki, aromatherapy and other massages)
- Workstation assessments
- Eyesight testing
- Kaarp employee discount scheme
Offers discounts to employees of Merton on a range of leisure activities from days out to magazine subscriptions.
- Other staff discounts
Including hair and beauty treatments, courses at Merton Adult Education, entertainment events and various restaurants.
- Interest free season ticket loan
Available for staff who commute using public transport. It covers the cost of an annual season ticket and is paid back in ten equal instalments from salary payments.
- Assisted car purchase scheme
If you are an essential car user you are entitled to apply for a car loan.
- Childcare vouchers
You can exchange part of your salary for childcare vouchers to pay for registered childcare. In doing this you will save on the current level of tax and national insurance on the amount you exchange for vouchers.
- Bike to Work scheme
You can exchange part of your salary for vouchers to buy a bicycle.
Merton is one of the best connected areas of South London with fourteen national rail stations, five underground stations (District and Northern lines) and the Tramlink service joining Wimbledon, Morden and Croydon. The road network offers fast access to the M23, M25, Channel Tunnel and all major airports. Morden and Wimbledon stations offer excellent bus service connections to surrounding areas.
- Merton is home to the All England Tennis Club, where the Wimbledon Tennis Championships are held.
- The New Wimbledon Theatre is the first stop for many West End productions after they leave London. New Wimbledon Theatre website
- There are countless bars and restaurants, and just over the borough boundaries are Hampton Court Palace, the river Thames, Epsom Downs and Racecourse and Box Hill with its panoramic views over Surrey.
See Local attractions for more.
Merton Civic Centre
Telephone: 020 8545 4016 or 020 8545 3965
This page was last updated on Thursday 12 February 2015